Wednesday, June 11, 2014

My Quarter Life Crisis

Here are some stats for you about me:

I'm 25 years old and single.

I live at home with my mother.

I have worked the same job for three years now, wherein I have limited responsibility unless there's a fire or tornado or bomb threat or someone's significant other has threatened to come kill them. In those scenarios, I'm the one between life and death.

I threw myself into debt for a Master's degree that ended up being completely unhelpful for the area I actually want to work in, since an MSW is what most people want you to have when they hire you.

I can't even get hired working a lower waged position in the area I want to work because I don't have enough experience, even though I've done over a year of rape response counseling.

I am desperate for an adventure.


Welcome to my quarter life crisis.


I spent around two hours last night browsing information about travel and will likely spend more time looking today.  My existential crisis or whatever you want to call it actually kept me awake last night.  I guess you could say I am bored with my life.  Or at least in desperate need of an actual vacation, because the last two years my paid vacation was spent on going home for Christmas.  

I saw The Fault in Our Stars today (movie review to come).  I'm a huge John Green fan (nerdfighter for life), but the problem with John Green is that he makes me want I life I don't have, or even feel incapable of having.  I want to be that person who has stories about where they've been and what they've done and who they've met.  But in my current age, all my friends either don't have the time or don't have the money or both.  So I am destined to have these adventures solo...which is terrifying and lonely.  Also all pictures of yourself on a solo vacation are gonna be selfies. I mean, c'mon.

So I guess I'm wondering if other people have felt this stagnation.  Felt trapped in a somewhat lonesome and boring life.  And what did you do?  How do you cope?  Do you ignore the itching sensation every time you see a travel brochure?  Or do you fly solo and make all your memories by yourself? 

No comments: