Sunday, October 2, 2016

30 Days of Militant Self Care: Day 2

Today's mission was to address the last question from yesterday: How is your body doing?

Yesterday I focused on mainly my perception of my body.  Which hasn't always been great (see yesterday's post for that nonsense, link above).  I have had some back pain recently because I haven't been working out as much.  Interestingly, I spent a couple grand on physical therapy (because it wasn't covered by insurance which is fucking dumb, but anyway) and I figured out that even with all that physical therapy, my back is at its best when I am remaining very active physically.  Except, I don't always like working out.  It works best if I go in the morning before work, but I like sleep.  Way too much.  I have a long term relationship with sleep and frankly, it is quite serious.  I've always needed more sleep to feel more like a functioning person.  Though I've figured out I can operate pretty well on roughly six hours.  But when that alarm goes off in the morning at 5 am, it's like, "Sure, I could get up and work out. Or...I could sleep for another hour." Choosing working out doesn't work. Haha, I'm funny.

So I didn't work out today, but I did plenty of other things to make sure my body was okay.  I drank plenty of water to make sure I wasn't dehydrated.  And I drank some coffee and a Coke, because I didn't want to get a caffeine headache.  I am also in a serious relationship with caffeine.  It just gets me.  I made sure to eat today, even when I didn't want to.  I don't normally eat breakfast on the weekends.  As I mentioned, I am in love with sleep so often when I actually get out of bed and moving, it isn't that far from lunch time.  But today, I ate breakfast.  Leftover cinnamon breadsticks from dinner the night before.  Totally counts.  I had leftover pizza and french fries for lunch.  And for dinner I made pasta.  Not a healthy day obviously.  But more importantly, I didn't judge myself for eating what I wanted.  I know I'll eat plenty of salad and protein this coming week.  Sometimes, indulgence is good for the soul.

I took care of my brain by working on my novel, which I haven't done in some time.  I'm even still typing up the pages I wrote on vacation in August.  But watching the word count go up was so refreshing and satisfying.  I've been working on this novel for almost three years, and there is an end in sight!  I took care of my heart by painting Mario characters for an upcoming arts and crafts show.  I took care of my skin by showering and feeling luxurious with the warm water cascading down my face.  And tonight before getting ready for bed, I took even better care of my face by washing and using a face mask.  My biggest fault in taking care of my skin is I often don't wash it before going to bed.  I can tell when my pillowcases are starting to get oily.  This unfortunately does make me occasionally break out more.  Though most of my acne has gone away since ceasing to regularly wear make-up because fuck the patriarchy.  But I let my face get some love with a Lush mask.

Happy face <3
If you haven't experienced Lush, I highly recommend them for amazing skin care products.  If you have experienced Lush, then you know what I am talking about! It's some good shit.  Now I am winding down the day by watching a new show and snuggling in bed with my amazing dog Tasha.  My heart is full.

Stay tuned for more adventures in militant self care!

No comments: