Tuesday, October 4, 2016

30 Days of Militant Self Care: Day 4

All today asked for was two minutes.  Two minutes of silence.  No phones.  No technology.  Just silence.  Holy shit, that was harder than I thought.

I didn't get my two minutes of silence until roughly 15 minutes ago.  When the prompt posted, I was at work.  I worked until 5 pm, drove home, made and ate dinner, and then hung out with my friend Kali and watched the VP debate.  I fully expected this morning that I would easily be able to fit in two minutes of down time.

But as the day went on, I forgot about it.  Or was constantly on my phone checking for text messages.  Or entertaining and spending time with my friend.  Once she left, I finally spent two minutes outside while I let my dog out.  I didn't touch my phone.  I let myself spread out on the porch, closed my eyes, and let myself have two minutes of silence.

It seems so easy.  To let yourself have two minutes.  But today, with technology and people and being a busy adult, it isn't easy.  It isn't easy to let myself have two minutes to enjoy the breeze on my face. To enjoy the sound of my dog walking around through the grass, searching for a creature to pounce on or something to eat.  To let my body take a breath.

I deserve it.  I need it.  I shouldn't have to fight for it.  So why do I?

Stay tuned for more adventures in militant self care!

No comments: