Thursday, October 6, 2016

30 Days of Militant Self Care: Day 6

Today's assignment is so perfect, I cannot even express how much I love it.  It's about sleep.

As previously mentioned, sleep and I are an item.  A deeply loving relationship where I wish only to spend more time ensconced in my covers, flirting with sleep.

How are you going to get your best sleep tonight? What's your routine?

Normally, I only get 6-7 hours a night.  I've found that it makes me a mostly functioning human being in the morning.  Though I do best when I get over 8 hours.  The problem is that I do so much during the day, going to be early is just not an option most of the time.  Sometimes, I have to stay up to watch a show or movie I have to review for my writing gig on HBO Watch.  Sometimes, I'm into a good book.  Sometimes, I am focused on getting a blog post done...  And then sometimes, and I will be fully honest here, I'm on fucking Facebook.  Damn you, social media.

My best nights of sleep are usually on the weekend, when I know even if I go to bed slightly later, I can sleep in late.  In college, I would sleep until noon.  It was beautiful.  My mom once called around 9:30 am during my freshman year.  I answered the phone with a decidedly snippy tone.  She didn't appreciate that.  I didn't appreciate the wake-up call.  After our quick conversation, I said, "Mom, don't ever call before noon again. Assume I'm sleeping unless otherwise indicated."  And she respected that.  Probably because she didn't want to get growled at again.  It's a real hazard.

My routine is pretty solid.  One that I've perfected over the years.  I wash my face (sometimes) and brush my teeth.  I make sure to use the bathroom right before I sleep because I can't stand waking up in the middle of the night to pee.  I inevitably bump into something.  Once I'm in bed, I take my meds and vitamins.  Occasionally a Tylenol PM if needed.  The great part of this routine is my dog Tasha.  She hears me brushing my teeth and knows it is bed time.  So she will saunter into my room and get into bed and wait for me.  It's just the cutest.
Just the cutest snuggle buddy <3

After my meds, I finish any work I need to do on my laptop or phone.  Set my alarm for the next day. I turn on my box fan and my ceiling fan.  White noise is an absolute necessity for a good night of sleep.  I have actually downloaded a fan app for when I'm out of town and don't have a fan.  I put my pillows in an upside-down L shape with the vertical pillow by the bedside table.  As I am a roller in bed, I have learned placing a pillow there will stop the inevitable head smacks in the middle of the night.  That has happened more times that I like to admit.  But this system works for me.  I stretch out on my stomach, and usually have to nudge the dog away because she's taking up ALL THE SPACE. She's so cute though so I forgive her.  What I do next is I alternate facing right and left as I fall asleep.  It actually helps me fall asleep faster than staying in one spot.  Don't know why.  But I dig it.

To me the most perfect night of sleep is one I don't get much anymore.  Those sleeps where you let yourself naturally wake up whenever.  No alarm.  No knocking on the door.  Just sleeping until your body decides it is time to get going.  Having a dog prohibits that a bit because I obviously don't want to leave my dog trapped in my room as I sleep until noon.  Not entirely fair to her.  But those are the best sleeps.  Mhmm.... And now that I have finished this, I'm going to get on the sleep train.  Good night!

Stay tuned for more adventures in militant self care!

No comments: